Monday, June 8, 2015

My new project

Well, it's official.  We took the plunge and put an offer on a house.  We are under contract as of today and I must say that I am getting stressed.  We have moved so many times that I have become used to it but it is different this time.  Let's just say that I only wanted this house for its yard.  These pictures are from the real estate website.  We are going to go by there tonight and get more pictures. 






This lot is a little over a half an acre and has many huge trees (which I love).  We usually buy new built homes that you have to landscape or the perfect house with the nightmare landscape like the house we live in now. 

I wish I could say that the inside is gorgeous but I can't.  It has many rooms that are good sized but this house was built in 1977 and it looks it.  This is the biggest project we have ever taken on for updating.  The hubby isn't liking the lower ceilings as we are used to higher ceilings but I can live with it.  The family room is vaulted and the front is is two story.




I am loving the size of this kitchen.  Not only does it have a pantry down by the double ovens, it also has two more large pantries with bifold doors that are across from the table and chairs.  I found a new home for all my dishes that I decorate with. I am also loving the french doors that go out to the covered patio. 

Here is the family room off of the kitchen.  The wall is going away so it will be open to the kitchen.


This is the powder room next to the family room.  Yes, just about every room is wallpapered.


This is a little bar area across from the family room.  It's like I stepped back in time.



This is the study on the other side of the powder room.  I didn't even know that they made homes with studies back then.


It has four bedrooms upstairs.  This one will be my craft room.


The master bedroom is across from the other three so it is private.  I will just show you the bathroom areas.

The master bedroom is on the other side of this area.  We are going to have to gut this area and start over so both sinks will be in one spot.

The last area I will show is the basement.  The ceilings are pretty low down here but we don't spend much time in the basement.  We are thinking about making a movie theater down here and of course all the exercise equipment will go down here.  I think the bar area will look great once I am done with it.  We are only going to be concentrating on the above ground area first.  We might not get down here for a few years.

 There is a 3/4 bath down here but no bedroom.  Check out this wallpaper.  I kinda like it.  I will definitely be keeping the mirror.

Not only is this the oldest house we have ever bought but it is also the largest at 5300 square feet.  We really don't need all that room but it is a great neighborhood, large lot and on a cul de sac.  We are going to take out a loan on this home since we aren't putting ours on the market until next week.  We usually sell ours first and then look but the real estate market has been crazy here with not many good homes coming on the market and when they do they are gone within a few days. 

This the biggest project we have taken on and I am starting to feel a little stressed right now.  Part of me is excited and the other part of me is dreading it. 

14 comments :

  1. Oh i can't wait to see what you do with this space. I know it will be fabulous and I am so jealous of all that sf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already feeling overwhelmed and we haven't even bought it yet. I fell in love with the yard. Finally one that all I have to do is add some flowers and maybe remove a few bushes.

      Delete
  2. Oh good luck with your new purchase and that all goes through with the sale of your home too! The new one has tons of character! I'm sure you'll enjoy updating and decorating it. It does have a very nice piece of property. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. I am excited to make this house my own. I saw a lot of potential when I first looked at it.

      Delete
  3. Lovely house. I hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the changes you make. It's a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finding a new home - it is not only lovely and spacious, it has so much potential! Can't wait to see how you decorate and make it your own! Love the yard, too.
    Blessings,
    Lanita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lanita. We are going to be gutting the kitchen and master bathroom first thing. We plan on working on the main level before we move in. We need to remove paneling and wallpaper, install new flooring and have all the walls retextured and painted. We will work on the upstairs after we move in and will wait maybe a year or two before tackling the basement. Yikes, I think that I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jody: we staged our house and sold it in one showing! Having a home built. Our 3d here. Live in Aurora right now in an apartment. All I can say is BE READY TO MOVE! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope that it sells fast. We are putting it on the market on Monday. The only thing I hate about selling a house is the showings. I have to make sure it is ready every morning. Good luck on your new home.
      I know what it is like to wait for a home to be built. We were lucky to rent a home for 6 months that was big enough for us to store all our stuff in when we had one built.

      Delete
  8. I so thank you for sharing your new home! This house has wonderful features so once you put your touches on it and give it a facelift, I think it's going to be stunning! Looks like a huge house and yard....WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the inspection the other day and there are some major problems. It needs a new roof and they found mold in the attic. If we can't get the sellers to come down on price or fix the problems we will have to look for another house. I really want this house as I love the yard. It is a little over a half acre.

      Delete