Monday, January 27, 2014

bookcases are finally done!

I finally got my bookcases done.  It has only taken me a year and a half and two background colors.  The cases had a white background so I painted it this green first.  I lived with it for awhile (about a year) and decided I didn't really like it that much.  This is a strange room across from the dining room and I had been using it as a catch all for when I changed the seasonal decor.  

I decided a couple of weekends ago to paint it a soft yellow instead and got to decorating them. Here is the new color before I decorated.

It is hard to get good close ups as this space is quite small.  Here are the pictures that I was able to get.

 Now here are the rest of the close ups that I took.  I am going to recover the bench and I still need to work on my desk area that is off to the right.  When we had the internet installed this is the only room that they could put the main router in so I had to put my old table in here for my computer.  I will post those pictures when I get it all done.  Now for the close ups.

I think that I like the pale yellow the best.  I just didn't care for that shade of green that I had chosen first.

Monday, January 20, 2014

New camera and fixing an old lamp

My husband got me a new camera for Christmas to take better pictures with for my blog.   I am having a hard time with it.  It is one of those that you have to push the button half way first to focus and then take the picture.  Well guess what that sounds easier than it is (at least for me).  It takes me forever to get a picture.

My New Years wish for 2014 is that I can have more time to do the things that I enjoy and focus on my blog.  As you know most of the time New Year resolutions don't happen.  Since I have to work 6 days a week at my husband's coin shop I haven't had much time to do the things I want to do around the house.  So my first post of the new year isn't very glamorous.  Hopefully I will get my projects done before this year is over.

I have this lamp that has been in my family as long as I can remember.  My husband threw away the top part that was always coming off because he did not now what it was.  I have found a substitute.  I found this little item at Goodwill and it was half off so I got it for $1.

Of course I need it to be gold in color and I do not need the wood base.  My hubby knocked out the bottom so I could get to painting it.
Now it is ready for the primer.
Here is what the top of the lamp looked like before.
Now for the finished product. I think that it looks better than the original topper.

This lamp is in my craft room/guest room in our basement.  I am still working on the basement rooms hopefully I will get everything done before summer as I will need to work on the jungle in the backyard.