Monday, January 29, 2018

Formal Living Room Part 1

I am excited that I have finally got one side of my formal living room done (except for a few touches like curtain panels, etc.).


I have been having a hard time finding yellow and red decor.  It seems like every store that I go to (Hobby Lobby, HomeGoods, Gordman's, Ross and Marshall's) only have farmhouse decor.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking farmhouse decor but my house just does not support that type of decor with all the dark wood trim and doors.  My home has more of a Tuscan look to it inside.  So does a girl do?  She has to shop the other rooms in the house and resort to thrift store finds that can be painted.  I found two of these at the Salvation Army thrift store.  They are about 8 inches tall and they cost $4.24 for the pair.

So one went yellow and other went red.

 They both found a home on my hutch.




Can you see where they both are?  The yellow one is easy to see but the red one is more difficult in these pictures.  I have it on it's side on the top shelf in front of the silver candlestick holders.  I have definitely decided to paint this hutch a dark brown but leave the lighter brown the way it is.  I love the way the top of the hutch turned out.  I have always wanted to get a clock for this room and I think it fits perfectly above the hutch.


My newly made over table got some decor also.  I was lucky enough to find the plate and the metal red vase at the thrift store too.



I also got the other two cornice boards done on the other end of the room.  Now all I need to do is get that side decorated and of course I am still needing those curtain panels.



On another note is anyone else battling the Ghost of Christmas Glitter?  I love all the Christmas decor that is glittered but it seems that no matter how many times I vacuum and mop the floors it keeps showing up.   What I find strange is that the floors look free of glitter when I get done cleaning  them but the next week when I clean them the glitter mysteriously reappears.  It seems that it takes many months for my home to become glitter free.

Linking with
Coastal Charm
Between Naps on the Porch
Dwellings the Heart of Your Home
Our Home Away From Home
A Stroll Thru Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Confessions of a Plate Addict
Celebrate and Decorate
Let's Add Sprinkles
Savvy Southern Style
A Delightsome Life
Imparting Grace
Katherine's Corner
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson
The Charm of Home
Life with Lorelai
Pieced Pastimes
French Country Cottage
The Painted Hinge
Scrapality
Shabby Art Boutique
Finding Silver Pennies
My Soulful Home
Life on Lakeshore Drive
Life and Linda

14 comments :

  1. It looks so homey. Enjoy it!
    #amazememonday
    Katelynn, hampersandhiccups.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your place looks GREAT! I am so happy to hear you Say you are looking for red and yellow decor. I thought I was the only person In This planet not decorating in farm house style. My home too has the stained door frames, baseboards and stair rails. Where I don't dislike Farmhouse decor, My style is more traditional! Plus I have painted trim and stair rails in my basement and just with everyday living the paint has chipped. Stained trim in my opinion is much easier to maintain.
    Thank you for your post! Cynthia Schuster- Parker, CO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia. I have some of the farmhouse decor in my kitchen mixed in with the french country decor. Most of my house is done in the warm tones while the kitchen and my craft room are more french country. I like the farmhouse decor but I would have to repaint my rooms and have all the trim and doors painted white for it to work in my home. I think it is just better to tuck a few items in here and there. Good to see someone on here that lives in town. I live in Littleton.

      Delete
  3. Ha! The ghost of Christmas glitter and Christmas flocking, too! All shall be well -- eventually!

    You living room looks just lovely and the things you've found really work. What a delightful room.

    -- jeanie from Marmelade Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. I keep seeing glitter in rooms that I didn't even decorate. I guess it came off of my socks.

      Delete
  4. Your vignettes are lovely. Glitter seems to be ever present in my house partly because I have granddaughter who loves to glitter everything. I just had the same experience that you had, though. I vacuumed and mopped, but the next day it was in the carpet and showing up on the hardwood. https://fairmeadowplace.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. I have cleaned my floors at least six times after Christmas and I am still seeing some even in rooms that I didn't even decorate.

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful! I love red and yellow together--that's what I have in my bedroom. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Our master bedroom is done in Tuscan decor.

      Delete
  6. I love the colors and the arrangements - very cozy and inviting. I enjoy the Tuscan feel; it has a richness and quality all it's own. VIsiting from Stroll Thru Life. Thank you for the creative inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jody, I love how you recreated those pieces to fit your decor. It's looking great so far and I can only imagine how amazing the finished product will be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it, what a nice spot to curl up today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great thrift finds Jody! I do love a red/yellow color combo. thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete