Monday, March 23, 2015

How to age a lantern

So the other day I decided to drive to a different Hobby Lobby than the one that is near my home.  I wanted to see if they had any different lamps.  I need to get some for my living room.  Of course I was disappointed as I could not find any but there happens to be a Stein Mart next door.  We don't have one near my home so I popped in to see what I could find.  And of course they didn't have any lamps that I liked but this lantern caught my eye.

It is pretty good sized.  It measures 27 inches to the top of the finial and it is 11 inches square.  Well of course I was guessing that it would be expensive and boy was I shocked when I saw the price tag.  It was only $39.99.  I have seen much smaller lanterns for that price.  So it came home with me.

I don't like it bright white and I would liked for it to have a metal top.  Well, here is what I decided to do.  I took the glass out first.  Makes it much more easier to work with.  Then I took some sandpaper to distress it .  I didn't take a picture since it wouldn't show.  Next I took one of my brown craft paints to stain it.  You could use stain but I like to use craft paint.  I just wet a paper towel or rag and dip it in the paint.  Then you just rub it on as much as you want and wipe off.


I want the top to be metal but since it is wood I will settle with it being painted.  I need to cover it so I won't get paint on the bottom.


It kind of looks like a ghost at this point.  Next we go outside and spray paint.  I had some left over bronze metallic paint from last year when I repainted the patio furniture.



Here is how it turned out.  Not to bad looking even if the top isn't metal.


Now it's time to decorate it.  I can't wait to use this all year long in different areas of the house.



 Here is what it looks like with the door closed.


Now I need to find a place to put it. It is awful big.  I might have to use it by the living room fireplace.  I am going to redecorate it anyway.  Be sure to check back and see how it looks.

Linking with
Between Naps on the Porch, Home Stories A to Z, The DIY Dreamer, Savvy Southern Style,   Beyond the Picket Fence, Ivy and Elephants, DIY by Design, The Bajan Texan, The Happy Housie, The Dedicated House, Oh My Heartsie Girl, The Style Sisters, Ginger Snap Crafts, Just a Girl and Her Blog, Ducks 'n a Row, A Delightsome Life, Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson, From My Front Porch To Yours, Posed Perfection, All Things With Purpose, Katherines Corner, Embracing Change, Anderson & Grant, Lambert's Lately, Imparting Grace, Rooted In Thyme, The Charm of Home, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, Nancherrow, Craftberry Bush, I'm Not a Trophy Wife
My Romantic Home, The Shabby Nest, DIY Vintage Chic, Serenity Now, Life with Lorelai, Chic on a Shoestring, Simple Nature Decor, 3 Little Greenwoods, Scrapality, Pieced Pastimes, Pink When, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Thoughts From Alice, Tabler Party of Two, DIY Show Off, Its Overflowing
Finding Silver Pennies, I Should be Mopping the Floor, House of Hipsters, Dwellings The Heart of Your Home, Huckleberry Love, By Stephanie Lynn, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, StoneGable
Karen's Up on the Hill, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, A Stroll Thru Life, Elizabeth and Co, Our Home Away From Home, Home Remedies



30 comments :

  1. Hi Jody! Oh, your lantern looks great! I have a couple of white ones that are pretty but they are just too bright. This is a good idea. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It didn't take me very long to do this. The longest part was waiting for the spray paint to dry I between coats.

      Delete
  2. So cute, Jody - love it! And the oh so adorable bunny inside is a sweet touch. Happy Monday! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your lantern Jody! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lantern turned out beautiful! And the little bunny is adorable! So sweet! Sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes it is so hard to find the perfect lantern so you just have to make it yourself. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  5. This lantern is huge! You turned it so beautiful! It's really amazing and from pictures I can't say that the top is not metal, it loos really great. Like the distressed look of the other part of the lantern. The bunny is adorable.

    Carpet cleaners Greenwich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They had one next to it that was distressed with a metal top. Plus it had a small weather vane on top and it cost $85. This was was a little bit shorter since it didn't have the weather vane but I thought it was a much better deal. I have just about the same look for $39. Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Oh.....How.....Darling!!!!! it turned out great and that "Bunny" I love his glasses, they are so cute!!! His big feet made me smile!!! Have a great week!!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. The bunny is yet another find at Pier 1. I just couldn't resist him.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you. I will be using this by my fireplace. I just need to finish decorating it this weekend. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful display, I love the bunny in the lantern, cute touch. xo, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. The lantern is going to be displayed at my fireplace. I will be finishing it up this weekend. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  9. Turned out really nice Jody! I have a large lantern and I love using it for holiday displays. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann. I plan to use it all the time. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  10. I love this! What a great look for your lantern, and so easy too. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope to see you again next week. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorelai. I will be sure to link up next week. Have a great day!

      Delete
  11. Jody, I love your lantern and the way you have updated it. Yours version looks terrific! I am visiting from Katherine's Corner Blog Hop. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever! It looks so much better and it's perfect for your cute bunny.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I liked the one next to it that look aged with a metal roof. This one was less than half the price and I fixed it up with paint that I already had. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  13. Hobby Lobby is the best place for lanterns. Unfortunately I have to drive a few hours to get to one, but when my aunt goes with my mom and I, it is my job to be the "adult" and stop her from purchasing anymore :) I don't know if I would have bought this one the way it was, but now that you transformed it, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!!! And the bunny looks right at home there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I wasn't going to buy it at first but I got to thinking that with a little paint I can make it look the way I want it to. It was a great buy at $40 for it's size as I have seen smaller ones for the same price. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

      Delete
  14. I just love how you decorated the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely transformation Jody. Thank you for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete