Sunday, August 21, 2016

It's pumpkin painting time

It's time to get out the pumpkins and paint.  This year I am going to be ahead of the game.   I have had some plastic pumpkins stored away for a while now and I think that it is time to transform them.  Here are the pumpkins that I started with. 






I like to paint my pumpkins by hand versus spray painting them.  I choose an off white for these pumpkins. Since two of the pumpkins have short stems I am adding some real ones to them.  I just cut off some of the stem and hot glued the natural stems on.
When I go to pick out real pumpkins I not only like to find interesting ones but they also need to have a nice stem.  At the end of the season I pull off the stems and keep them to add to plastic pumpkins to give them a realistic look.




I didn't want just plain off white pumpkins so I am antiquing these.  Since I might be using these outside I have sprayed them with a protective clear coat.


I also painted a couple more pumpkins but in two different oranges.  They also started out the bright orange color and I added natural stems to these also.



Now for the finished pumpkins.  First up is the white pumpkins.



 And now the orange pumpkins.



They look great all together.  I am not sure how I will use them this year.  I might use some on the front porch.







 The before and after side by side.  I had two of each sizes of the orange pumpkins in the back so one of each went white and darker orange.


Linking with
Life on Lakeshore Drive, Rustic & Refined, Dwellings The Heart of Your Home, Julie's Creative Lifestyle, Between Naps on the Porch, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, StoneGable, Coastal Charm, Our Home Away From Home, A Stroll Thru Life, The Dedicated House, Savvy Southern Style, Oh My Heartsie Girl, DIY by Design, Beyond the Picket Fence, Snapshots and Snippets, The Happy Housie, Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson, Katherine's Corner, Posed Perfection, Rooted in Thyme, 21 Rosemary lane,A Delightsome Life, Decor to Adore, Mila's Little Things, Imparting Grace, Shabby Art Boutique, Chic on a Shoestring, The Charm of Home, Shoestring Elegance, Life with Lorelai, DIY Vintage Chic,   French Country Cottage, Scrapality, Pieced Pastimes
A Delightsome Life

38 comments :

  1. What a fabulous Idea, thanks for sharing. Love this look....:)) Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love these! What a transformation! With every picture, the pumpkins kept getting better! The paint job and the embellishments look wonderful. I so wish I was good at painting...nothing ever turns out how I imagine it will :( Your pumpkins will look great wherever you decide to put them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. I am thinking about doing some more. Working on these really put me in the mood for Fall decorating.

      Delete
  3. These are fantastic! I particularly love the antiqued white ones. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the pumpkins. Your just like me ready for Fall.This after noon I'm visiting all the bloggers that linked at my Fabulous Fall Party last year. This year's party will be at my new blog beginning Sept 1. I hope you'll come over and join the party again! Come see me here: http://mychristmasjourney.blogspot.com/
    Let's celebrate Fall together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you paint the pumpkins with a sponge brush? They all look fabulous! Love the embellishments too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used regular bristle brushes that I use for my tole painting. I also like to use paper towels to wipe off the extra paint when adding a different color. The orange pumpkins are done with three colors and the white pumpkins with two colors.

      Delete
  6. Your pumpkins are wonderful!! I keep saying I am going to do this every year. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look really great! I like both color versions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They looks so realistic, Jody! Terrific job! I need to somehow start getting in the mood for fall... I'm just enjoying summer too much! :) Thank you for sharing and linking up at Dishing It & Digging It! We enjoy your creativity each week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you pumpkins look gorgeous! I love them. What kind of paint did you use on them Jody? Just curious incase I want to paint mine white.
    Thanks for sharing this at C&C w J&J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I used Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint. I have a lot of different colors that I use for my tole painting. You could probably use house paint too.

      Delete
  10. Jody,
    Amazing transformation!
    I'm loving the white pumpkins!
    Great blending together with the orange, too!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...these look SO great! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, I wish you would have given some instructions on the technique you used for the pumpkins. Ive had problems with the glazes, and would like to know what you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use a glaze on the white pumpkins. I used my craft paint in a dark brown. My technique is my own style as I brush on the brown paint in a small section and take a damp paper towel and wipe off some of the excess. I repeat this process over the entire pumpkin and add more paint if needed. I like to spray them with a clear acrylic sealer in a matte finish just in case I use them outside on the porch. Try using the brown paint instead of glaze as I think it stays on surfaces better. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  13. Love the results! The glaze and the real stems are perfection. I save my stems as well. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty. They look especially striking on the black cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jody, I love the pumpkins. Mixing orange and antique works well. What a good idea to add real stems. I'm not thrilled that fall is around the corner but nature is what it is. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia. I myself am ready for Fall. We have been pretty dry here this year.

      Delete
  16. Jody, what a great idea. Your pumpkins are gorgeous. I live in the South, so real pumpkins won't last very long outside. I'm particularly drawn to the antique white pumpkins, with the fancy decoration providing that splash of color. I saw your link at Becca's DIY Vintage Chic Party. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann Marie. The squirrels get into the pumpkins here so I don't use too many real ones outside.

      Delete
  17. I love these pumpkins Jodi especially the white ones - thank you for sharing with I am Pinnable

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are all lovely! Pinned and featured, thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things link party xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look lovely! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete